Enjoy the Wisconsin winter outdoors with your whole family. Here are a some tips from our family to yours.
- Snowshoes can be rented for children at about age 4. Our 5 year old lasted about 55 seconds. Which brings me to my next tip …
- Consider pulling younger kids along in a sled or toboggan (or if kids snowshoeing get tired). We brought a blanket too for the sled.
- Snowshoes attach to your regular snow boots and usually aluminum. Some places still rent out the traditional wooden versions (1,000 Islands). Snowshoe sizes are determined by weight.
- Snowshoe trails are not groomed. Most trails require a 6 inch base of good snow. Fluffy, fresh snow is best!
- Call ahead for conditions and to make sure snowshoes are available.
If you can walk, you can snowshoe! Check out these places.
1000 Beaulieu Court, Kaukauna WI 54130
Rentals are available out of the Environmental Center.
Monday – Friday: 8 am – 4 pm
Saturday – Sunday: 10 am – 3:30 pm
Adults – $2.50 per pair
Children – $1.50 per pair
Weekend or Weekday Off-Property – $5.00 per pair
Friends of 1000 Islands Members – No Charge
Heckrodt Wetland Reserve
1305 Plank Road, Menasha, WI 54952
The snowshoe trail is about 1/2 mile long, not including the prairie trail. The prairie trail will add about 1/4 mile. The terrain is relatively flat. Head over to Camp Winnecomac for the best trails.
Rentals are available for $5 deposit per pair which is returned when you return your snowshoes after your adventure. Be sure to bring along your ID or keys to leave with your deposit. Heckrodt rents snowshoes only when there are six or more inches of fresh snow, it might be best to call ahead to be sure that you’ll be able to rent even if it appears that there is enough snow.
Tuesday – Friday: 8 AM – 4:30 PM
Saturday – Sunday: 11 AM – 4 PM
Ledge View Nature Center
W2348 Short Rd. Chilton, WI 53014
Rentals available for $5 a pair. Staff available for help. Call ahead to set up your rental and check on snow conditions 920.849.1471.
Monday – Sunday: 8 am – 4:30 pm
N7630 State Park Rd, Sherwood, WI 54169
Snowshoeing is permitted anywhere in High Cliff except on ski trails when snow covered. The Forest Management trail is good for winter hiking and snowshoeing. Snowshoe rentals are available on a first-come, first-served basis when the park office open.
Tuesday – Sunday: 10 am – 4 pm
Bubloz Nature Preserve
4815 N Lynndale Dr, Appleton
Bubloz offers 8.5 miles of trails for snowshoeing! They will update their website with trail conditions or you can call. Always call ahead on weekdays to check on rental availability.
Tuesday – Saturday: 9 am – 3 pm
Sundays: 11 am – 3pm
Snowshoeing is also at Mosquito Hill in New London. Visit their website for more information.
Get out and explore! Any fresh snow is perfect for snowshoeing. Where is your favorite place to snowshoe?