One reason to be excited about May is the average temperature of 67°F; there are many other reasons to welcome the month with open arms! Who else is also excited about being one month closer to summer?!? We’ve rounded up some fun things to do this month in Northeast Wisconsin for your family! Make sure to check out our family-friendly calendar with even more things to do!
Exciting News & Business Openings
- Bricks and Minifigs Fox Valley in Neenah (Fox Crossing) is now open! Their grand opening was April 29, 2023.
- Load the Family in the Van and Go… Beyond Van Gogh is coming to Green Bay in June!
- Hamilton will be at the Fox Cities PAC, May 9-21, 2023!
- Green Bay Botanical Garden’s official opening day for the NEW Bell Children’s Garden is Friday, May 12, 2023, to kick off Go Public Gardens Days. They will be open from 9 am – 8 pm with free admission.
- New event in Downtown Appleton – Light the Night Market on Friday, May 19, 5:30 – 9:30 pm. Three blocks of College Ave. will be transformed into an open-air street market filled with entertainment, music, food, activities, and more! This event is free.
- Hazelmade Art Studio in downtown Appleton announced on Facebook they will be moving locations soon. Watch for more information on their Facebook page.
- The playground at Pamperin Park in Green Bay is getting a refresh at the end of the month / early June! Check out the renderings on Facebook. – sometime around Memorial weekend, pending weather delays and things!
Park Bathrooms Open
Most bathrooms open at our local parks. No more little potty emergencies! Find new parks to explore in our Park Series! Our favorite parks for spring have the rubber ground, and we have over a dozen in the Fox Cities and options in Oshkosh too.
Purple Octopus Playground at the Above & Beyond Children’s Museum in Sheboygan looks fun! It opened in August last year. The Shaw Family Playground is another great park in Sheboygan too!
Runoff some energy at the Titletown District playground.
- May 3, 2023: Bookworm Gardens in Sheboygan opens.
- May 5-6, 2023: Chilton Twilight Drive-In Theater opens with Disney Pixar’s Elemental
- $35 buys a carload pass (good any day), a large popcorn (1 free refill), 2 large sodas, 14′ pizza of your choice, and 2 rounds of mini golf.
- May 6, 2023: Menominee Park Zoo in Oshkosh opens.
- May 6, 2023: Bay Beach opens for the season.
- May 28, 2023: Plamann Park‘s Children’s Farm opens.
- May 28, 2023: Lakeside Park in Fond Du Lac opens.
- May 30, 2023: Memorial Day and an extra day with our families!
- Memorial Day Weekend: Field of Scenes Drive-In Movie Theatre in Freedom opens
Mother’s Day: May 14, 2023
Celebrate Mother’s Day with a yummy brunch, a special day, or just exploring a new or favorite local spot! If you are looking for things to do, check out these local spots with FREE admission for Moms.
FREE Admission for Moms:
- Milwaukee Zoo
- Bookworm Gardens, Sheboygan
- Green Bay Botanical Garden
- Canopy Tour and ice cream at Suamico Creamery, an Ice cream shop located in Vickery Village in Suamico
- Mulberry Lane Farm
- Paine Art Center & Gardens
- NEW Zoo & Adventure Park
Memorial Day – May 29, 2023
An important holiday in the United States, Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday of May each year, Monday, May 29, 2023. Originally known as Decoration Day, it was established after the Civil War to honor those who died while serving in the armed forces.
It’s a day where we remember and pay tribute to the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
Some of our local events include:
- Appleton’s Annual Memorial Day Parade and Moment of Remembrance Ceremony
- Annual Neenah Menasha Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony
- Neenah American Legion Post 33 Memorial Day Car Show & Brat Fry at Lucky Dogz
Did you know we also have a military and veterans museum? Check out the Military Museum and Educational Center in Oshkosh!
May Festivals & Events
We have so many fun festivals and events in Northeast Wisconsin!
Horicon Marsh Bird Festival: May 12 – 14, 2023
family-friendly activities and educational experiences for birders of all levels. Activities include trips to Old Marsh Road, a unique experience of night sounds, paddling and bird watching, LIVE birds of prey, as well as smaller and more intimate guided tours.
Portage County Cultural Festival, Stevens Point: May 13, 2023
This annual, 1-day event at Stevens Point Area Senior High celebrates the diversity of cultures in Portage County. Experience fantastic food, music, folk dances, native crafts, and children’s games from around the world.
Light the Night Market on Friday, May 19, 5:30 – 9:30 pm
Three blocks of College Ave. will be transformed into an open-air street market filled with entertainment, music, food, activities, and more! This event is free.
Scottie Rally and Parade of Scots, Baileys Harbor: May 19 – 20, 2023
This event is a big deal for Scottie lovers! It’s one of the largest gatherings of Scottish Terriers in the United States and a huge supporter of the STCA Health Trust Fund (HTF). The HTF helps fund research and regional symposiums related to Scottie health.
Festival of Spring, The Paine: May 20, 2023
Festival of Spring is a free outdoor event at the Paine Art Center and Gardens in Oshkosh and features a spring plant sale and more than 100 vendors of original art, fine crafts, plants, and garden supplies. Other activities include free admission to the Paine mansion and gardens, an art activity for kids, tasty food, and live entertainment.
Celebrate De Pere, De Pere: May 27 – 29, 2023
Celebrate De Pere is an annual festival held at Voyager Park in De Pere on Memorial Day weekend and includes a car show, food, live music, a fishing tournament, a parade, kids activities, fireworks, a carnival, and more!
Hmong National Memorial Day Festival, Oshkosh: May 27 – 28, 2023
This annual festival at the Winnebago County Parks is a weekend of fun with sports, food, music, and vendors. Enjoy lots of competitions, including a fashion show, soccer, volleyball, flag football, topspin, kato, dance, and talent.
Splash Pads Open!
Splash pads have become incredibly popular among families and children of all ages over the past few years. These fantastic water playgrounds are the perfect way to beat the heat and have some fun in the sun without worrying about the hazards of traditional swimming pools. Unlike regular pools, splash pads are equipped with various water features that splash, spray, and shoot water from all angles, providing a refreshing and exciting way to stay cool during hot summer days. Most of the splash pads in the Fox Cities are open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Some of our favorite FREE splash pads include:
- Washington Park, Neenah
- Wanick-Choute Park, Sherwood
- South Park, Oshkosh
- Lakeside Park, Fond du Lac