The state of Wisconsin is hands down one of the best in the United States to enjoy the beauty of wintertime. This holiday season, bundle up and dash through the pristine, white snow on a scenic open sleigh or carriage ride!
There’s just not a better way to join in on the festivities of the season and check an adventure off your family’s bucket list than by visiting one of these farms for an old-fashioned sleigh ride experience along the trails. You can enjoy a cozy ride on vis sleighs (facing each other) or enjoy a jolly group-friendly large sleigh ride with your larger group or family!
Concerned about the absence of snow? Many locations offer a winter wagon ride or a carriage option! But here’s to hoping for lovely weather as you dash about on a dreamy, horse-drawn sleigh wagon ride in the open air!
Please Note: All sleigh ride offerings, pricing, and hours are subject to availability and are weather dependent. Families should speak directly with the farm or stable to book their scenic rides as reservations are required for all outings.
- 1. Cavanaugh Carriages, Neenah
- 2. Roden Barnyard Adventures, West Bend
- 3. Starwood Farm, Ringle
- 4. Willow Spring Gardens, Wausau
- 5. Brandt’s Sleigh Ride & Wagon Rides, Bryant
- 6. Red Ridge Ranch, Mauston
- 7. Apple Holler, Sturtevant
- 8. Western Connection Ranch, Rhinelander
- 9. Palmquist Farm, Brantwood
- 10. On Twin Lakes, Birchwood
1. Cavanaugh Carriages, Neenah
Level up your winter with a nostalgic sleigh ride through the beautiful snow! Cavanaugh Carriages has been offering sleigh rides, carriage rides, and hayrides in Neenah for as long as we can remember. Enjoy the best sleigh ride in the Fox Valley area snuggling up with warm blankets with your favorite people. This is the perfect way to enjoy the snow-covered winter beauty of Wisconsin.
- Travel Specs: 16 minutes | 11.5 miles
- Address: 3910 Fairview Road, Neenah, Wisconsin
- Phone: 920-836-2013
- Dates: Horse-drawn sleigh rides are offered all winter
- Pricing: Cost based on group size, please call for current rates
- Families are welcome to bring blankets, snacks & hot chocolate
- All rides are private and by reservation only
2. Roden Barnyard Adventures, West Bend
Enjoy a magical, evening horse-drawn sleigh ride through the beautiful Wisconsin countryside on hundreds of wooded acres here at Roden Barnyard Adventures. Beyond the joy of the sleigh ride itself, you’ll have a chance to enjoy thousands of sparkling Christmas lights that light your way! Before or after your ride you are most welcome to warm up in the heated building and enjoy a cup of hot cider or cocoa. You might even try your hand at an old-fashioned board game! Guests are welcomed to bring their own food as they enjoy a night out together.
- Travel Specs: 1 hour, 22 minutes | 84.5 miles
- Address: 5545 County Road Y, West Bend, Wisconsin
- Phone: 262-689-7521
- Dates: December 9, 2022 – January 7, 2023 on select (mostly weekend) dates
- Adults: $39
- Children 3-13 years: $29
- Each sleigh ride accommodates 12 individuals. Purchase all 12 tickets if you don’t want others in your party’s sled.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of your scheduled ride.
- Reservations required
Nearby in West Bend you won’t want to miss the Shalom Wildlife Zoo’s Drive-Thru Christmas Event! While golf carts may be used in the summer months, you can enjoy the zoo from the comfort of your own toasty vehicle this holiday season.
3. Starwood Farm, Ringle
Join Starwood Farm in Ringle for an enchanting winter sleigh ride this holiday season! Their gorgeous percheron draft horses happily trot along as you and your loved ones enjoy the beautiful Wisconsin woods, remenesicent of old logging trails. They are happy to accommodate both small and large groups. After the ride and complimentary bonfire & refreshments, children are welcomed to pet and get photos with the animals!
- Travel Specs: 1 hour, 29 minutes | 87.7 miles
- Address: 225031 Abt Road, Ringle, Wisconsin
- Phone: 715-393-9951
- Pricing: Call for rates and reservation
- Approximately 16 adults per sleigh ride
- Your reservation includes a picnic table, roasting sticks, and rustic restrooms for your group
While you’re in the area, explore more local flavor in nearby Wausau, Wisconsin! There are sledding hills for the kids, delicious downtown fare, Rib Mountain State Park, and so much more.
4. Willow Spring Gardens, Wausau
Glide over glistening snow while being pulled by trotting draft teams led on gently by the sleigh driver at Willow Spring Gardens! Pull up to a secluded spot in the woods for a campfire, hot refreshments, and an opportunity to build snowmen! Hungry? Make sure you specify whether you’d like to participate in their soup or pizza buffets when you make your reservations!
- Travel Specs: 1 hour, 41 minutes | 107 miles
- Address: 5480 Hillcrest Drive, Wausau, Wisconsin
- Phone: 715-675-1171
- Dates for public sleigh rides:
- Saturday, January 14, 2023 (Soup Buffet Option)
- Sundays, January 22 (Pizza Buffet Option) & February 5, 2023 (Soup Buffet Option)
- $14/person for sleigh ride only
- $12/person for the all-you-can-eat-buffet
- $24/person for both
- Sleigh rides go out every 30 minutes.
- Each sleigh accommodates 8 people. Parties of more than 8 need to reserve a private ride.
- Call to reserve a private sleigh ride for your group.
5. Brandt’s Sleigh Ride & Wagon Rides, Bryant
Come enjoy the old-time beauty of a Wisconsin winter sleigh ride at Brandt’s near Antigo! This two-hour cozy sleigh ride is the perfect way for you and your family to enjoy the beauty of this season. Rates are based on group size and each sled can accommodate up to 18 riders!
- Travel Specs: 1 hour, 42 minutes | 91.3 miles
- Address: N4515 County Road S, Bryant, Wisconsin
- Phone: 715-627-7462
- Dates: Weekends Only December 18, 2022 through February 27, 2023
- 1 – 5 people: $100
- 6 – 12 people: $140
- 13 – 18 people: $175
- Receive $25 off the second sleigh if you reserve two
- Reservations required
- ‘If it’s snowin’ and blowin’, we’re still goin’!’
6. Red Ridge Ranch, Mauston
Plan a visit to Red Ridge Ranch for an enchanting farm experience! Families will enjoy a scenic sleigh ride, pulled by gentle, beautiful teams of Belgian horses. If you have a larger group, you’ll have plenty of room on a big sleigh here so don’t stop from inviting that additional person or family member! Each large sleigh (there are three total available) holds up to fifteen people each. Families are also encouraged to tour the farm and interact with farmyard animals during their visit.
- Travel Specs: 1 hour, 56 minutes | 102 miles
- Address: W4881 WI-82, Mauston, Wisconsin
- Phone: 608-847-2273
- Dates: Sleigh rides begin December 15, 2022 provided there is snow. If there is not snow, the sleigh ride will be substituted with a wagon ride.
- Schedule: Sleigh ride departure times are 11:30 am, 1 pm, and 2:30 pm – 7 days a week
- $10/children 5 and under
- Guaranteed private tours available for an additional $50
- Reservations required. Book online or by phone.
- Rides are 30 – 40 minutes
- Bring your camera!
- Hot cocoa provided. Bring your own food and other drinks!
- Campfire hosted on weekends. Also available upon request at no additional cost.
7. Apple Holler, Sturtevant
Come enjoy the beautiful Wisconsin winter weather at Apple Holler in Sturtevant, Wisconsin! Their majestic Haflinger horses lead you on a magical ride through their beautiful wooded acres. Enjoy comfortable seating while snuggled close with loved ones (don’t forget the blankets, a camera, and carrots for the horses!). Reserve your tickets now: this enchanting ride is available while snow is on the ground.
- Travel Specs: 1 hour, 57 minutes | 131 miles
- Address: 5006 South Sylvania Ave, Sturtevant, Wisconsin
- Phone: 262-884-7100
- Pricing: $135 (plus tax) for up to 4 riders, $30 (plus tax) for each additional rider
- Reservations required
- Hot cocoa or hot apple cider, s’mores fixings, and campfire included!
8. Western Connection Ranch, Rhinelander
Dress warmly for a cozy winter sleigh ride down the beautiful country roads in Rhinelander! All families, both large groups and small, can enjoy a ride through the winter wonderland and woods. Imagine a countryside of yesteryear sprinkled with log cabins and hand-wrought picket fences as you soak in this old world holiday delight. Following the ride, sit by a crackling campfire with a decadent cup of hot chocolate to warm up!
- Travel Specs: 2 hours, 26 minutes | 156 miles
- Address: 6899 Co Hwy K, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- Phone: 715-282-5619
- Dates: Offering rides all winter
- Pricing: Call for current rates
- Hot chocolate and complimentary campfire
- Reservations required. Book by phone.
Looking for other wintertime nature adventure? This season is a perfect time for spotting bald eagles in Wisconsin!
9. Palmquist Farm, Brantwood
Listen to the sound of hooves prancing and sleigh bells ringing on old-fashioned, country-style sleighs at Palmquist Farm, located northeast of Eau Claire, Wisconsin! Snuggle up in a warm blanket on a seat of soft hay as a team of Belgian draft horses take your family on a magical ride through the fields and forests. After your ride, warm up in the Pickaroon, a warming house, with Russian tea, hot chocolate, or hot apple cider around the piano and play your favorite holiday jingle! While you’re here, consider staying the night in their cozy log cabins, such as the White Pine Inn. And, to make your visit all the more dreamy, consider bringing along one of these log cabin kits to create a one-of-a-kind, woodys gingerbread creation!
- Travel Specs: 2 hours, 35 minutes | 162 miles
- Address: N5136 River Road, Brantwood, Wisconsin
- Phone: 715-564-2558
- Big Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides
- Adults: $25/person
- Children 4 – 12 years: $10/person
- Lap riders or Children 3 and under FREE
- Big Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides for Overnight Guests: FREE
- Small Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides: $150 includes two people, $25 for additional person
- Big Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides
- Reservation required
10. On Twin Lakes, Birchwood
You won’t find a more spectacular experience in Wisconsin winter than a sleigh ride with the beautiful Haflinger horses here. Enjoy a ride together along scenic routes; all the while singing is encouraged. In addition to their traditional larger sleighs, they also offer a small sleigh that accommodates just two people for the cozier occasion.
- Travel Specs: 3 hours, 48 minutes | 251 miles
- Address: 2522 28th Avenue, Birchwood, Wisconsin
- Phone: 715-354-3210
- Pricing: $85 sleigh ride tickets for up to 4 riders, every additional rider is $10/each
- Tipping encouraged
- Call for large group pricing
- Blankets and hot cocoa provided. Dress warmly!
Whoa, there! Be sure to stop back for updates as more farms add to their holiday ride schedules!