November is here! After the beautiful fall we’ve had, it’s fun to think of heading right into more cozy days and the upcoming holidays. Decorating, planning meals, thinking about gifts…it’s nice to feel like things are back to normal this season.
We’ve rounded up some fun things to do this month in Northeast Wisconsin, from Oshkosh to Appleton to Green Bay (and beyond) for your family!
Save the Date
- November 11, 2023: Light Up Appleton, Downtown Appleton
- November 16, 2023: The Wisconsin Herd 2023-24 Basketball Season kicks off with its season opener in Oshkosh!
- November 17, 2023: Ice Rink opens at The Plaza at Gateway Park in Downtown Neenah.
- November 17, 2023: The North Pole Christmas Village in Chilton opens for the season.
- November 18, 2023: Green Bay Holiday Parade
- November 21, 2023: Downtown Appleton Christmas Parade
- November 24-25, 2023: Titletown typically opens its ice rink and starts winter programming and holiday activities with the Winter Jubilee and their Light Show.
- November 27, 2023: Little Chute Holiday Parade
- November 30, 2023: Downtown Oshkosh Holiday Parade
Indoor Play Dates
We all know by now that Wisconsin’s weather seems always unpredictable. Here are some handy lists for indoor play during rainy and cold November days.
- Indoor Playgrounds, Parks, and Play Areas
- Coffee Shops with Play Areas in the Fox Valley & Beyond
- Indoor Swimming Pools in the Fox Cities
- Indoor Waterparks in Wisconsin
Outdoor Play Dates
Save these lists for those warmer days in November to run off some energy!
Día de los Muertos
Have you seen colorful sugar skulls and artwork depicting Dia de los Muertos? Have you wondered what this tradition and cultural holiday all meant?
Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead, is a celebration honoring our ancestors. In Mexico, Dia de los Muertos is celebrated on October 31, November 1, and 2. Although seen primarily as a Mexican holiday, it is also celebrated in many communities in the United States where there is a large Mexican-American population, and to a lesser extent, it is also celebrated in some parts of Latin America.
Learn more about this holiday here in What is Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) and how is it celebrated in the Fox Cities?
Halloween Candy Buyback
Drop off your Halloween pumpkins to be used for compost rather than disposed of in a landfill. Join the Kaukauna Recreation Department on Saturday, November 4, 2023, from 1:00 – 2:00 pm for games, food trucks, prizes, and more at Lower Grignon Park in Kaukauna.
Saving Snouts will happily accept any unbleached, unpainted, and no mold pumpkins for their animals. You can drop them off daily next to the driveway of the big brown shop. Saving Snouts is located at N 267 Debruin Rd, Kaukauna.
High School Musicals & Plays
Wizard of Oz: November 3-4, 10-11, 2023
The Xavier Fine Arts Theatre, 1600 W. Prospect Avenue, Appleton, WI
- About the Show – The Wizard of Oz: After a tornado whisks her away to the magical land of Oz, young Dorothy Gale teams up with a Scarecrow, a Tin Woodsman, and a Cowardly Lion to find the mighty Wizard of Oz, who can send her home. Along the way, they must avoid the clutches of the Wicked Witch of the West, who is trying to steal the mysterious magic slippers that once belonged to her evil sister… but are now on Dorothy’s feet. Dorothy eventually learns just how magical friendship can be and how wonderful it can feel to go home again.
Into the Woods: November 3-4, 5, 9-11, 2023
Appleton East Patriot Players, Appleton East High School, 2121 E Emmers Dr, Appleton, WI
- About the Show – Into the Woods: The story follows a Baker and his wife, who wish to have a child; Cinderella, who wishes to attend the King’s Festival; and Jack, who wishes his cow would give milk. When the Baker and his wife learn they cannot have a child because of a Witch’s curse, they set off on a journey to break the curse.
Puffs: November 2-4, 2023
Kimberly High School Theatre, Kimberly High School, ??1662 Kennedy Ave, Kimberly, WI
- About the Show – Puffs: The New York Times proclaims Puffs “A fast-paced romp through the ‘Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic.’ For Potterphiliacs who grew up alongside Potter and are eager to revisit that world, Puffs exudes a jovial, winking fondness for all things Harry!” This clever and inventive play “never goes more than a minute without a laugh” (Nerdist) with a new look at a familiar adventure from the perspective of three potential heroes just trying to make it through a magic school. They’re “hilariously heartfelt!” (Metro) and epic journey takes the classic story to new places and reimagines what a boy wizard hero can be. The show is rated PG-13.
Sister Act: November 9-11, 2023
Kaukauna High School, 1701 County Rd CE, Kaukauna, WI
- About the Show – Sister Act: Sister Act is the feel-good musical comedy smash based on the hit 1992 film that has audiences jumping to their feet! Featuring original music by Tony- and eight-time Oscar winner, Alan Menken (Newsies, Beauty and the Beast, Little Shop of Horrors), this uplifting musical was nominated for five Tony Awards, including Best Musical. When disco diva, Deloris Van Cartier, witnesses a murder, she is put in protective custody in the one place the cops are sure she won’t be a found: a convent! Disguised as a nun, she finds herself at odds with both the rigid lifestyle and uptight Mother Superior. Using her unique disco moves and singing talent to inspire the choir, Deloris breathes new life into the church and community but, in doing so, blows her cover. Soon, the gang is giving chase, only to find them up against Deloris and the power of her newly found sisterhood. Filled with powerful gospel music, outrageous dancing, and a truly moving story, Sister Act will leave audiences breathless. The cast is chock full of amazing roles for women of all ages, making this a perfect choice for high schools and community theatres. A sparkling tribute to the universal power of friendship, Sister Act is a reason to REJOICE!
Mamma Mia: November 9-12, 2023
Hortonville High School, Hortonville High School Auditorium, 246 N Olk St, Hortonville, WI
- About the Show: Mamma Mia!: The Hortonville High School is very excited to share our musical production of ‘Mamma Mia’ with you this fall. We’ve been working on the show since before the school year began, and are so excited for the community to enjoy this romantic comedy as much as we do. The ‘Mamma Mia’ musical, including ABBA hits, takes place on a present day Greek island and follows the story of a 20-year-old’s dream wedding, including her father giving her away. The only problem is that she doesn’t know who her father is, ‘and the wedding is tomorrow’!
Matilda: November 2-11, 2023
Green Bay East High School, 1415 E Walnut St, Green Bay, WI
- About the Show: Matilda: Inspired by the genius of author Roald Dahl, the Tony Award-winning Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical is a captivating masterpiece that revels in childhood, the power of imagination and the inspiring story of a girl who dreams of a better life. With book by Dennis Kelly and original songs by Tim Minchin, Matilda has won 47 international awards and continues to thrill sold-out audiences of all ages around the world. Matilda is a little girl with astonishing wit and intelligence. She’s unloved by her cruel parents but impresses her school teacher Miss Honey. During her first term at school, the two forge a bond as Miss Honey begins to recognize and appreciate Matilda’s extraordinary personality. School life isn’t completely smooth sailing; the headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, hates children and just loves to punish those who don’t abide by her rules. But Matilda has courage and cleverness in equal amounts and could be the school pupils’ saving grace! Packed with high-energy dance numbers, catchy musical songs and fantastic special effects, Matilda is a dynamic show. Children and adults alike will be thrilled and delighted by the story of the special little girl with an extraordinary imagination!
Beauty & The Beast: November 10, 11, 17-19, 2023
Preble High School, 2222 Deckner Ave, Green Bay, WI
- About the Show: Beauty and the Beast: Step into the enchanted world of Broadway’s classic, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, an international sensation that has been produced in 37 countries worldwide. Based on the Academy Award-winning animated feature, the stage version includes all of the wonderful songs written by Alan Menken and the late Howard Ashman, along with new songs by Mr. Menken and Tim Rice. The original Broadway production ran for over thirteen years and was nominated for nine Tony Awards, including Best Musical. The classic story tells of Belle, a young woman in a provincial town, and the Beast, who is really a young prince trapped under the spell of an enchantress. If the Beast can learn to love and be loved, the curse will end and he will be transformed into his former self. But time is running out. If the Beast does not learn his lesson soon, he and his household will be doomed for all eternity. This “tale as old as time” is filled with spectacular costume and set opportunities or, even more simply staged, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast offers a great opportunity to bring your entire community together for family theatre at its best.
Calling all veterans and military personnel, Veterans Day is about celebrating YOU! From free meals, deals, and special events, check out this impressive list of offerings for Veteran’s Day in the Fox Valley area, Oshkosh, Green Bay, and beyond.
Deals, Special Events, and FREE Meals for Veterans – UPDATES coming soon!
Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays, with all the family and yummy food and a little bit lower pressure and expectations than gift-giving holidays!
We’re looking forward to cranberry sauce and stuffing and rounded up some spots for you to find dinner if you aren’t able to cook, looking for a meal out on Thanksgiving, or would like someone else to do all of the cooking for you to take home and do all of the eating.
2023 Thanksgiving Guide: Places to Eat, Things to Do & Where to Volunteer – UPDATES coming soon!
The Nutcracker and the timeless ballet has become a beloved tradition for many families. This enchanting story, filled with magic, adventure, and the power of imagination, has captivated audiences for generations. Families gather together, dressed in their finest holiday attire, to share in the joy and wonder that The Nutcracker brings. Whether attending a live performance at a local theater or watching a televised version from the comfort of their own home, this tradition creates lasting memories that families treasure for years to come. We have some amazing options in the Fox Cities!
- November 25, 2023: A Hip Hop Nutcracker
- Fox Cities PAC, Appleton
- Tickets start at $50
- November 17-22, 2023: Nutcracker in the Castle
- Paine Art Center, Oshkosh
- Reservations required.
- November 24-26, 2023: The Nutcracker, presented by the Dance Company
- Walter Theatre at St. Norbert College. 315 Third St., De Pere, WI
- Featuring dancers from the Milwaukee Ballet, dancers ranging in age from 8 through adult from all over the community.
- Tickets start at $20
- November 24-26, 2023: The Nutcracker at the Weidner
- Green Bay’s Only Nutcracker with Live Symphony Orchestra
- Tickets $24.50-$52
Make sure to check out our calendar for fun events throughout the month of November!