Show your local love for Downtown Appleton starting Friday, February 17, 2023, while strolling and enjoying ice sculptures in front of the unique boutiques, specialty shops, and restaurants.
Enjoy ice sculptures placed up and down College Avenue in various designs to lift your winter spirits! Ice sculptures will be installed by Friday, February 17, at noon and remain up as weather permits. Spend the weekend exploring Downtown Appleton businesses and the beauty of ice.
Avenue of Ice, Downtown Appleton
- When: Friday, February 17th (noon) – until the ice melts
- Where: Downtown Appleton, College Avenue
- Admission: FREE
- More Information:
- 34 ice sculptures will be located along College Avenue.
- While strolling Downtown, warm up and support the amazing small businesses! Take a peek at their great winter items to find ways to stay warm and enjoy the Wisconsin Winter! Items like hot chocolate, mittens & cozy hoodies, winter brews, and more can all be found in Downtown Appleton. You can also stop by our warming stations by three Downtown coffee shops to warm up during your strolls along the Avenue, located by ACOCA, Copper Rock, and Lawlss.
Tips for Exploring Avenue of Ice with Kids
- Layers! Start with a warm base and add snow pants, warm coats, hats, mittens, scarves, and warm boots. It is so much easier to just take a layer off than to figure out how to get warmer!
- Park in a central location. Choose a parking ramp that is in the middle of the action. Try next to the library behind the Building for Kids or across from Houdini Plaza. If you need to cut your exploring short, you’re never too far away from your escape!
- Bring along hand warmers and water. It’s the little things that make exploring more comfortable and fun.
- Stop for hot cocoa! Perfect for warming up from the inside out and a delicious, little portable hand warmer.
Go Valley Kids favorite spots for hot chocolate Downtown:
- Acoca Coffee, 500 West College Avenue, Appleton
- All Tied Up Floral Cafe, 324 East College Avenue, Appleton
- Brewed Awakenings, 107 East College Avenue, Appleton
- Copper Rock, 210 West College Avenue, Appleton
Some of our favorite Downtown Appleton things to do with kids in the winter:
- Visit Jones Park – Bring along your skates and glide around the skating or hockey rink.
- Pick up a treat to enjoy at home from Crazy Sweet
- Browse the stickers and kids’ local merch at Blue Moon Emporium.
- Check out the featured book on Story Walk.
- Visit Building for Kids for a warm and fun place to play, climb, and learn.