Some things have changed at Bookworm Gardens since my visit last year during my Sheboygan Family Day Trip. Last year, part of the garden was under construction, but now it’s all open and waiting for folks of all ages to frolic on its paths and explore all of the children’s book-themed exhibits!
Bookworm Gardens, located in Sheboygan, near the University of Wisconsin-Sheboygan campus, opens May 1st and I couldn’t wait to make another trip there. We saw all of our old favorites, like the Farm Garden and Magic School Bus, but there were also some new areas to check out!
A newer section of the garden is a mini replica of the greens of Kohler’s Whistling Straits. This exhibit, located near the Twitch mailbox and the Monster House, is sponsored by the PGA REACH, the PGA Tour Wives Association and the Kohler Company. Connor the Caddie, authored by Wisconsin local, Ulrich Koberstein, and illustrated by his wife, Christine Koberstein, is the inspiration for the exhibit. Connor the Caddie is a children’s picture book that tells the tale of a sheep who is tired of his mundane life and dreams of becoming a caddie. The new section features a clubhouse, two cast iron sheep that the kids can climb on and a Whistling Straights sign.
Another small exhibit that caught my eye this time was the turtle near the entrance to the park, right next to Harry the Dirty Dog. The turtle was inspired by another local author’s book, Water is Water, by Miranda Paul. I love that Bookworm Gardens honors Wisconsin writers!
We couldn’t end our trip to Bookworm Gardens without making a stop in the gift shop. The shop is small, but offers a variety of books, toys, games and t-shirts. They sell pinwheels, balls, puzzles, eeBoo toys and more!
No trip anywhere is ever complete without at least one potty break! Even the bathrooms at the gardens are decorated in a literature theme! And, they have toilet seats that have a child seat built in, so there’s no fear of your little one falling in!
I hope after reading this you want to plan your own trip to Bookworm Gardens!
To help you with your planning, here are some of the basics about the gardens:
Admission is FREE, but donations are appreciated!
1415 Campus Drive, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
- Monday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm
- Sunday, 12 pm to 4 pm
- May 1 – October 31, 2018
(check out the Bookworm Gardens website for more details!)
- May 1, 2019 – First Day of the Season
- June 21, 2019 – Solstice Celebration
- June 22, 2019 – Pollinator Picnic
- August 3, 2019 – Fairyfolk Festival
- September 21, 2019 – Harvest Happenings
- October 11-13, 2019 – Sheboygan Children’s Book Festival
- October 18, 19, 24-26, 2019 – Happily Haunted Garden
- October 31, 2019 – Last Day of the Season
Other Helpful Information
- Parking is FREE!
- Children must stay with an adult at all times.
- No running in the gardens.
- Food and beverages are allowed in the garden (no alcohol), but you must dispose of your own trash offsite.
- Smoking, firearms and pets are prohibited.
- Please be respectful of the gardens and do not walk through the plants and flowers, or swim in the pond.
- Photographs are allowed.