Do you and your kids love to gaze upon the stars or spot famous constellations in the nighttime sky? If so, then the Barlow Planetarium located at the UW-Oshkosh Fox Cities campus in Menasha is the perfect destination for your next family outing! From laser shows to current nighttime star-gazing, to telescope viewing, to naming constellations, be prepared to be filled with awe and wonder of the astronomical beauty of the solar system we call home!
Plan Your Visit: Barlow Planetarium
1478 Midway Rd, Menasha
Parking & Directions
The Barlow Planetarium is located near the southwest corner of the UW-Oshkosh Fox Cities campus. Enter the building at the main entrance 1W, and the planetarium is immediately on your right upon entering. FREE parking is available in the lot at the west side of the building.
Star Show Schedule
- Family Star Shows: Wednesdays 4 pm, Saturdays 1 pm
- Age level: all ages (recommended for ages 10 and under)
- Length: 45 – 50 minutes
- Family Laser Shows: Thursdays 4 pm, Saturdays 2:30 pm
- Age level: all ages
- Length: 45 – 50 minutes
- Feature Star Show (More Than Meets the Eye): Fridays & Saturdays 4 pm
- For the true blue astronomy lover!
- Family Astronomy Night: The schedule of events and times for the family astronomy night shift as sundown changes throughout the year. These nights typically include laser shows, feature shows, and telescope viewing.
Each star show concludes with viewing the current nighttime sky as seen from right here in the Fox Cities!
Make sure to check out the schedule of shows to confirm showtimes and purchase your tickets.
Star Show Admission
Online ticket sales only
- Barlow Members: FREE
- Adults (age 18+): $9
- Students (age 13-17): $8
- College students (with ID): $8
- Children (age 3-12): $7
- Seniors (age 60+): $7
Tips for Visiting with Children
There is truly a star show for every age at the Barlow Planetarium! Preschoolers are a great fit for Bear Tales offered at the matinée show. School-age children will love the nighttime sky and telescope viewing events. The laser show is a hit for many ages and may even be appropriate for those as young as preschoolers provided they can sit in their seats. We recommend caution in bringing babies or children/adults who are sensory sensitive (especially to light or motion) as the virtual reality experience here can be rather intense (and FUN!). If your child has done well with an IMAX theater experience, they will likely thrive in the planetarium experience!
Nearby Things to Do in Menasha
- Weis Earth Science Museum, UW-Oshkosh Fox Cities campus
- Dig deep into Wisconsin’s geology, fossils, natural resources & history while you’re visiting the campus! The gift shop is a must for any gem/rock lover.
- Elisha D Smith Public Library, 440 First St
- Offering family storytimes, a play area, and other family fun events.
- Jefferson Park & Menasha Pool, 915 Third St
- Beautiful lake views and a beach-entry pool await you.
- Heckrodt Wetland Reserve, 1305 Plank Rd
- If you haven’t played in their mud kitchen or given the zip line a while, you simply haven’t lived! They also rent snowshoes in the wintertime.
Nearby Coffee & Treats
- Koi Coffee & Tea, 204 Main St
- Homemade bakery and specialty coffee all with a small children’s play area!
- Shellattes, 330 N Commercial St
- Super cute and cozy cafe offering indoor/outdoor patio seating, coffee drinks & bakery, and an assortment of used books & antiques available for purchase
- The Chicken Palace Mexican Restaurant, 1550 Appleton Rd
- Yummy Mexican cuisine and an amazing assortment of helados (ice cream treats)!
- Manderfield’s Home Bakery, 811 Plank Rd
- The most delicious homemade bakery items around!