Looking for inexpensive fun for the whole family? Head to the roller rink and lace up for some roller skating! New to the skating scene? Don’t worry! Many facilities offer family skating times and discounts. You and your family will have a blast at any of these indoor roller rinks (it’s one of our favorite winter things to do)! If you like roller skating, you might also enjoy ice skating!
If you have a kiddo with a winter birthday, roller rinks are a great indoor birthday party option! Check with locations for more information.
Tips for Family Roller Skating
- Prepare for a workout!
- Wood floors are easier to manage than cement floors for beginners and parents back on skates for the first time in forever.
- Saturday or Sunday afternoons are the best times for young families. There will typically be smaller crowds, giving your budding skater more room to practice their skills.
- If your kids are young, they may want to hold your hands for stability and you will have to bend over to help them.
- Some roller rinks have walkers available to help your young skaters and your back.
- Many rinks can tighten the wheels on skates so that they don’t roll as fast. This is a great option for young kids just learning because it will help keep them from falling so much.
Roller Skating in Appleton
Located near Costco and the Fox River Mall, Skater’s Edge boasts the largest skating rink north of Milwaukee. Special nights include Adult Nights, Food Drives, Christian Skate Night, and more. Skater’s Edge has both roller skates and roller blades available to rent or purchase.
Arcade games and snack bar with pizza, candy, drinks, and more (food and drink carry-ins are not allowed).
If your child loves to skate fast, Skaters EDGE has a kids’ speed skating team, Badger State Racing, that has weekly practices and competes locally and nationally.
They also offer group and school fundraisers, corporate parties, private parties and birthday parties.
- Skaters EDGE, 5714 Integrity Way, Appleton, Wisconsin
Roller Skating in Kimberly
Skate City in Kimberly has been a family-owned business since it was built in the early 80s. Skate City has family nights on Wednesdays – a great night for beginners! They can tighten wheels, so they don’t roll as fast. Like Skaters Edge, you’ll also find a small proshop, snack bar, and arcade games. Watch their Facebook page for specials!
- Skate City, 708 S Railroad Street, Kimberly, Wisconsin
Editor’s Note: Gem Roller Rink in Menasha closed its doors permanently on October 15, 2022, after 50 years in business.