Looking for inexpensive fun for the whole family? Head to the roller rink and lace up for some for some roller skating!
You can even sign up for FREE skating passes for kids for Spectrum Skating Rink in Fond Du Lac and Skaters EDGE in Grand Chute. Go to Kids Skate Free for more information and to sign up for passes.
Have a kid with a winter birthday? Roller rinks are a great indoor birthday party option! Check websites for details.
Tips for Family Roller Skating
- Prepare for a workout!
- Wood floors are easier to manage than cement floors for beginners and parents back on skates for the first time in forever.
- Saturday or Sunday afternoons are the best times for young families. There will typically be smaller crowds, which will give your budding skater more room to practice their skills.
- If you’re kids are young, they may want to hold your hands for stability and you will have to bend over to help them.
- Some roller rinks have walkers available to help your young skaters and your back.
- Many rinks can tighten the wheels on skates so that they don’t roll as fast. This is a great option for young kids just learning because it will help keep them from falling so much.
Places to Skate:
Fox Valley Roller Skating
708 S Railroad Street, Kimberly, Wisconsin
- Skate City has family nights on Wednesdays- for every paid child, a parent gets in free, skate rentals not included. They can tighten wheels so they don’t roll as fast.
5714 Integrity Way, Appleton, Wisconsin
- Wednesdays admission is just $2.50 with a can of food for St Joe’s Food Pantry.
- Sunday is Family Day: $15 includes admission and skate rental for a family of four!
Gem Roller Rink
1340 S. Oneida St., Menasha, Wisconsin
- Gem Roller Rink can tighten skates for little skaters and they have push walkers on hand for extra stability.
Fox Valley Roller Rink
1215 Gillingham Street, Neenah, Wisconsin
- Fox Valley Roller Rink has walkers available for use and can also tighten skates.
Spectrum Skating Rink
605 Fond Du Lac Ave
Green Bay Roller Skating
731 Morris Ave, Green Bay, Wisconsin
St Mary’s Roller Rink
1265 Cass Street, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Other Roller Skating Locations
Rollaire Skate Center
930 North 18th Street, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
If one of your kids falls in love with skating, Skater’s EDGE in Grand Chute is home to a kids roller derby team for ages 7-17 and a speed skating team for all ages!
Fox Valley Roller Rebels
Junior Derby leagues aim to create an opportunity for girls and boys ages 7-17 to explore health, leadership, and FUN while learning the world’s fastest growing sport – flat track roller derby. Girls and boys of all ability are welcome.
Allegro Speed Skating Team
All ages are welcome! If you like to skate fast or would like to learn to skate faster, Allegro Speed team is for you. The team practices are OPEN for all skaters for $4 per practice session, a great way to try out to see if you might be interested in joining the team!
Looking for more family fun this winter? Check out 75+ Things to do during Winter.