One of the things that we love most about our community is the people that contribute to making this an amazing place to live and raise families. This weekend an incredible free-for-everyone drive-through haunt opens for visitors in Weyauwega for their 25th year. Haunted Hollow is a family-built and operated haunted yard is located on a large privately owned rural setting and is filled with spooky sights and sounds. You’ll see a mix of stationary and animated features as well as live monsters along the road ready to give extra scares.
We love this type of unique alternative Halloween activity. It is perfect for families with a mix of ages or littles that are just getting ready for more scares. Halloween light displays and yard installations are newer to the Halloween scene and offer a fun addition to fall activities and traditions.
This is just one of the many fun things to do for families in the area around Halloween:
- 2022 Halloween Events Around the Fox Valley
- Nature center events, haunted trails, haunted golf cart rides, and so many more fun things to do in October for spooky fun!
- Halloween Events at Local Libraries
- These are typically free, super fun, and not very scary!
- Indoor Trick or Treating & Halloween Deals in the Fox Cities
- Where to go to stay warm and dry while collecting treats and to scare up some good deals.
- 2022 Trick or Treat Times for Northeast Wisconsin
- We’ve got you covered for every area town, city, and village!
- 2022 Trunk or Treats from Oshkosh to Green Bay and Everywhere Around and In-Between!
- There are trunk-or-treat events happening every week throughout October! They are great for little kids that might not be ready for a whole neighborhood excursion or would like to have a trick-or-treat experience and also hand out candy at their own house on Halloween!
Here’s what you need to know before you go.
It is strictly drive-through.
The Haunted Hallow crew asks that you remain in your vehicle as there are cords and other tripping hazards throughout the yard.
Choose your own level of scare.
There are live monsters with very convincing make-up and they will do their best to give you a scare. If you go in the evening, you can drive through with your flashers on as a message to the monsters that you don’t want scares. In not pandemic years, monsters would sometimes also enter cars for next-level scares! Additionally, families are able to drive through during the day without animation and live monsters to keep it fun for kids (or their grown-ups) that aren’t ready for big scares.
Donations are accepted but not expected.
This year Haunted Hollow is collecting donations of non-perishable food items for the Waupaca Area Food Pantry as well as dry dog and cat food for the Waupaca Humane Society. Let a monster know if you’re donating dog or cat food so that they can keep it dry. Monetary donations are also welcome. You can also donate your items with no contact or leaving your vehicle by pulling up and popping the trunk so the monsters can grab your donations.
READ MORE: 8+ Fox Valley Haunted Houses Perfect for Beginners!
We were really excited to have the opportunity to have a little Q&A with Liza and Kevin in 2020 about this awesome gift to the community.
GVK: How did you get started and how long has Haunted Hollow been happening?
Kevin: We started Haunted Hollow 22 years ago. At that time the yard was quite small. Before we started we were doing hayrides to another yard and thought it would be fun to do my own.
GVK: Why do you love Halloween?
Kevin: Halloween is a time for fun and screams and laughter. There is no limit to Halloween.
GVK: What’s your favorite part of Haunted Hollow?
Kevin: My favorite part of Haunted Hollow is setting up and building props. I love using my imagination. Also using my ingenuity.
Liza: I love the happiness on the faces that come by. I love candy night because I get to talk to everyone that drives by.
GVK: How many live monsters are there?
Kevin: The number of monsters changes every night. Weeknights are fewer of course. We once had 17 in one night!
GVK: How long does it take to set up?
Kevin: The bigger the yard gets the longer it takes. I take a week of vacation to set up, repair, and build things.
GVK: What feature are you most proud of?
Kevin: The feature we are most proud of is the fact that anyone can take part in Haunted Hollow — young and old and poor and rich.
GVK: Who helps with Haunted Hollow?
Kevin: Our 11-year-old Bryce helps and says that he owns everything there. Some monsters are family members, but we have more friends now that help as everyone gets older. We have to recruit younger people every year.
- Haunted Hollow, N3762 Maple Grove Rd, Weyauwega (3-4 miles east of Waupaca)
- Opens on October 8, 2022
- Sunday – Thursday: 7 – 9 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 7 – 11 pm