The weather has been unreliable for solid ice at our many outdoor rinks in the area. Lucky for us, we have rear round indoor skating options!
- Appleton Family Ice Center
1717 E. Witzke Boulevard, Appleton, Wisconsin
- Tri-County Ice Arena
700 E. Shady Lane, Neenah, Wisconsin
- DePere Ice Arena
1450 Ft.Howard Dr, DePere, Wisconsin
- Cornerstone Community Center
1640 Fernando Dr, DePere, Wisconsin
- Oshkosh YMCA
3303 West 20th Ave., Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Hit the Ice
Here are some tips for first-timers.
- Start slow.
- Hold on to something if you can! Some spots have trainers or just touch a wall.
- Bend your knees slightly- imagine you’re hovering over a public toilet!
- Use your arms for balance.
- Push feet out and slightly back, keeping your weight centered.
- Forward movement will feel more steady than stillness.
- Going to fall? Forward or to the side can hurt less than backward. Be careful not to use your hands and wrists to break your fall. Falling into snow is the least hurtful option when available!
- Helmets on for safety!
Once you really get the hang of it, you can try more difficult things like spinning, sharp turns, backward skating, or just going fast. If you have a group of friends, you can play games like tag or ice hockey. Just remember to be safe and courteous to everyone else using the ice rink. Most importantly, have fun!
Thanks to our guest writer, Steve Freund.
Looking for Outdoor Ice Skating? Head here!