From touring a dedicated dairy farm to enjoying a sweet, melting ice cream cone, there are so many ways to celebrate the efforts of our amazing state this month! Thanks to our proud Wisconsin farmers, we have endless dairy options, like yummy cheeses and creamy yogurts, to add to our tables.
June Dairy Month celebrations first became a cherished tradition in 1937 when it started as National Milk Month. Now, June Dairy Month offers families many educational opportunities to learn about the dairy industry and of course, a reason to dig into the best dairy products around (as if we needed a reason anyway!)
Check out the fun, upcoming family-geared events and local specials for June Dairy Month!
2021 Wisconsin Family Farm Events
June Dairy Month Kick-Off Breakfast
Join the Kewaunee County Dairy Promotion and hosts, the Augustian family of Augustian Farms, LLC, for a kick-off breakfast buffet including scrambled eggs and cheese, sausage, bacon, fruit and more!
- Thursday, June 3, 2021: 6:30 am – 11 am
- Rendezvous of Luxemburg, E0896 CR-N, Luxemburg
- Tickets are $9 at the door or from select vendors. More information.
15th Annual Cheddar Chase
Show your cheese pride with a non-competitive, family-orientated one-mile walk/run during the parade at Cheese Fest!
- Saturday, June 5, 2021: 10:25 am
- Starting Line at Sanatorium Road and Main Street, Little Chute
- Registration is $10. T-shirts are handed out on a first-come basis. Register the morning of the event or on Eventbrite.
- All participants 12 and under will receive a Cheddar Chase medal at the finish line!
- For more information on the race route or registration.
June Dairy Day
Stop by for a fun-filled family day! The event features a variety of farm animals, dairy games, prizes, and samples of Wisconsin’s finest dairy products including cheeses, buttered popcorn and milk. Families can also make their own silly milk mustache!
- Saturday, June 5, 2021: 9 – 11 am
- National Exchange Bank & Trust, 130 S. Main Street, Fond du Lac
- FREE Family Event
Brown County Breakfast On The Farm
Have fun and learn about Wisconsin farm life and agriculture with a variety of activities for the whole family! Enjoy tasty eats, a Hay Bale Maze, Silage Bunker Ring Toss, petting zoo, taking a photo with a calf, seeing cheese art carving, viewing vintage and modern farm equipment, and tasting ice cream and cheese curd samples and more!
- Sunday, June 6, 2021: 8 am – 12 pm
- Collins Dairy, LLC, 3489 Hill Road, Greenleaf
- Adults (11 & over) $7, children (5-10) $4 and children under 4 are FREE
- Tickets will only be sold on the day of the event. Cash and credit cards are accepted.
Delicious Dairy Duo Drive-Thru
Families can celebrate dairy month from the comfort of their car with this drive-thru event! Guests enjoy a grilled cheese lunch followed by a sundae at Slowey’s Farm and check out all their cows and farm equipment!
- Sunday, June 13, 2021: 10 am – 1 pm
- So-Fine Bovines, LLC, W7560 Ember Avenue, Westfield
- $3/person – includes meal & ice cream
- Purchase tickets on Eventbrite or RSVP by email with the number of tickets needed. Only exact cash payments will be accepted on-site.
Manitowoc County Breakfast On The Farm
Head to the farm for a hearty breakfast of ham and cheese omelets, sausage, donut holes, yogurt, a variety of cheeses, cinnamon bread and butter, juice, coffee and milk! There will also be Cedar Crest sundaes, a farm tour and family activities.
- Sunday, June 13, 2021: 8 am – 12 pm
- Vogel Family Farms, 8901 Hilltop Road, Cato
- Adults $8, children ages 5-10 are $5 and under 4 are FREE. Cash only.
- Parking available on Hilltop Road. Visitors will be shuttled to the farm on tractors and wagons.
DSAW Family Farm Tour at Cozy Nook Farm
To commemorate June Dairy Month, the Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin, Inc. (DSAW) is welcoming families to join them at Cozy Nook Farm for a tour and hayride. The event will also include a chance to feed a cow!
- Saturday, June 19, 2021: 2:30 – 4:30 pm
- Cozy Nook Farms, S11 W30780 Summit Avenue, Waukesha
- FREE to families with individuals with Down syndrome and related disabilities
- Reservations required by filling out the online form at the bottom of the page.
Calumet County Sundae On The Farm
Take a wagon ride through the farm to learn about the agricultural industry. Families will enjoy music from the Cahoots Band, nibble on artisan grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream sundaes, sip cold milk and spend time on the farm with many other family-centric activities!
- Sunday, June 27, 2021: 11 am – 3 pm
- Woldt Farms, LLC, N9594 County Rd PP Brillion
- FREE Family Event
- No tickets required.
Fond du Lac County Breakfast On The Farm
Visit the LaClare Family Creamery and enjoy a delicious breakfast, an array of educational displays, children’s activities and farm tours!
- Sunday, June 27, 2021: 8 am – 12 pm
- LaClare Family Creamery, W2994 County Road HH, Malone
- More information and to purchase tickets (when they come available).
NOTE: The Annual Outagamie County Breakfast on the Farm has been POSTPONED until 2022.
Enjoy a Virtual Farm Tour
Have you ever wondered what a real working farm is like? Join Julia Nunes, farmer and 73rd Alice in Dairyland, for a virtual walkthrough of her family’s dairy farm, Scientific Holsteins.
The online tour showcases daily happenings on the farm, nestled in Tilden, Wisconsin. Viewers will see baby calves get their morning bottle, the milking process and also learn about working in agriculture.
Before the tour begins, be sure to download and print the free Farm Scavenger Hunt Challenge and spot all the items on the list!
Gifts, Samples & Specials
- If you’re a customer of Dairy State Bank, stop into any DSB location for ‘Cheese Day’s and receive a FREE 1lb. package of locally-made cheese on Thursday, June 3, 2021, from 10 am – 2 pm!
- Enjoy 50¢ soft serve cones for the month of June at Lamer’s Dairy in Appleton! Stop in for a chilly treat, which is made with award-winning rGBH-free milk and cream from small family farms in Northeast Wisconsin! Proceeds benefit the St. Joseph Food Program.
- Each day in June at Simon’s Specialty Cheese in Appleton, customers can get a FREE item, like a block of cheddar cheese or a container of cream cheese spread, with a $30 purchase. The store also custom designs specialty gift baskets with a variety of goods on-site for the perfect dairy-inspired gift!
Celebrate With Dairyland Activities
Let your creativity flow as you appreciate and celebrate June Dairy Month with these fun crafts!
Handprint Cow Art
Make one of the cutest and most personalized cow, ever!
- Colored construction paper
- White, Pink & Black acrylic paint
Instructions: Using a paintbrush, paint your palm and four fingers white. Press it to the bottom of a piece of construction paper towards the edge. Take your paintbrush and add the details to your cow using pink and black paint. Using scissors, cut a strip of green construction paper and make small thin cuts down the strip-like grass and attach to your photo. Next, cut clouds out of white construction paper and add to your cow art!
Fun Farm Sensory Bin
Entertain little farm enthusiasts with easy-to-make sensory fun!
- Long, shallow plastic bin
- Filler (cheerios, popcorn kernels, rice, paper frills or water beads)
- Assorted plastic farm animals
- Scoops, spoons, shovels or cups
- Toy barn, boxes or small containers
Instructions: Take a plastic bin and fill it with a filler of your choice. If playing outside, the bin can even be filled with water for summer play. Place assorted farm animals and tractor toys in the bin. Provide your kiddo with scoops, spoons, shovels, cups or anything that can safely engage them with the sensory bin. Insert a toy barn or other small containers for scooping the filler and playing. Moo, oink, neigh…enjoy!
Ice Cream Scented Play Dough
Mix up some fun with this naturally-colored Neapolitan Ice Cream scented play dough!
- 1 c. Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1 c. Warm Water
- 1/2 c. Salt
- 2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 c. Cocoa Powder
- 50mL Chocolate Essence – for chocolate dough only
- 50mL Strawberry Essence – for strawberry dough only
- 50mL Vanilla Essence – for vanilla dough only
- Red Food coloring – for strawberry dough only
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Airtight container
Instructions: Pour all the dry ingredients into a saucepan. Slowly add water, flavor corresponding essence oil and stir before heating. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove the dough from the pan (it will be sticky!) and lay out on a clean surface dusted with flour. Allow to momentarily cool before kneading until smooth. Repeat this process for each individual dough “flavor.” Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Cubed Cheese Sculptures
Be creative and play with your snack and then eat it, too!
- Bag of cubed cheese, any variety
- Toothpicks or Pretzel Sticks
Instructions: Open a bag of cubed cheese and place a pile on the placemat. Using toothpicks or pretzel sticks, carefully press into the cube and connect them. Use your imagination to build a giant barn, tractor, or even your favorite farm animals! When finished, discard any toothpicks and enjoy some cheese nibbles!
Recycled Cow Planters
Get a little crafty and share the love of cows in your home or garden!
- Plastic Bottle, any size
- White, Pink & Black Acrylic Paint
- Garden Soil
- Seeds or Ready-to-plant Flowers
Instructions: At the neck rim of the soda bottle, cut the top portion off and discard. Cut straight to avoid jagged or sharp edges; if rough edges occur, lightly buff with sandpaper. Paint the bottle white and let dry. Multiple coats may be necessary. Once dry, make cow spots and face and paint the bottom of the bottle pink like udders. Allow the bottle to dry completely. If placing the bottle outside, spray with a clear sealer and allow to dry. Then, fill with garden soil and plant your seeds or ready-to-plant flowers.