Summer reading programs got a shakeup last summer with the pandemic and the solution is sticking around! Challenged with figuring out how to bring families this summer staple, the libraries and Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction are delivering with a fun online platform. Beanstack gamifies reading with virtual badges to earn for hours spent reading and other fun activities. It is quick and easy to sign up the whole family and you’re able to navigate to each person from one easy app on your phone or through your home library’s website. Sign up with your home library and start earning your summer reading badges today!
Beanstack Reading Program Challenge Examples
These details are based on Appleton Public Library’s program, your home library’s challenges and activities may vary.
Reading Programs for Kids
- Read independently or with another for 1 hour each week and be entered automatically for a prize drawing.
- Log 13 hours of reading and 8 activities to complete the program and enter the grand prize drawing
- Everyone who completes the program gets a prize. Pick it up one of two ways: either go to apl.org/prizes (or call 832-6187) to schedule a curbside pick-up or stop by the Children’s Services desk.
Reading Programs for Teens
- Read and log 2 hours each week
- Bonus badges for kindness and wellness activities
- Log 16 hours of reading get entered for the grand prize drawing and challenge badge.
Reading Programs for Adults
- No minimum reading requirement.
- Log your reading each week to be entered into a prize drawing.
- Log at least 6 weeks to be entered for the grand prize drawing.
Appleton Public Library
Encourage reading with fun incentives, virtual storytimes and programs on Facebook, Maker Quest challenges, and more with APL’s 2021 Summer Reading Program! Make sure to sign up for APL’s Beanstack Program.
The Appleton Public Library is also open for in person browsing, checkouts, and contact-free curbside pickup.
Other Favorite Program Highlights:
- Story Walk – Enjoy reading a children’s story with an Interactive walk at Appleton’s Memorial Park’s Scheig Center. Stories will be updated every other week.
- Take n’ Create Packs for Teens: Curated kits for teens include instructions and everything needed to make a project. Past kits have included Upcycled Terrariums and a Kraft Summer Journal Notebook. The Take and Create kits are only available by reservation for the first 25 sign-ups each week. Reservations are taken from Sunday at noon through Friday at 5 pm.
- Get a free book by enrolling in the teen program and claiming it by June 20 at the Information Desk.
For More Information
- Appleton Public Library, 225 N Oneida St, Appleton
- (920) 832 – 6177
Elisha D. Smith Public Library
- Elisha D. Smith Public Library (also known as the Menasha Library), 440 1st St, Menasha
- (920) 967-3690
Kaukauna Public Library
Imagine Your Story, Kaukauna Public Library’s 2021 Summer Learning Program includes virtual and in-person programming, pop-up libraries, rock painting, “story strolls” and more! Follow on Facebook or check their event calendar for updates!
- Kaukauna Public Library, 207 Thilmany Rd, Ste 200, Kaukauna
- (920) 766-6340
Kimberly Public Library
Go wild with the Tails and Tales Summer Reading Program June 7-July 31. Kids will be discovering Wisconsin animals, teens will take a tour of the world’s weirdest animals, and adults will be reading and hiking in nature.
Participants get a chance to enter for weekly prizes! Grab-n-Go craft kits will also be available at the library with community-submitted artwork being featured on June 15th during the Community Art Exhibit.
Kimberly Public Library
515 W Kimberly Ave, Kimberly
Little Chute Public Library
This summer, the Little Chute Library will be bringing you tales you love while featuring all kinds of fun and unique animals with the Tails and Tales Summer Reading Program Jun 7, 2021 – Aug 22, 2021.
Kids will be discovering Wisconsin animals, teens will take a tour of the world’s weirdest animals, and adults will be reading and hiking in nature.
Participants get a chance to enter for weekly prizes! Grab-n-Go craft kits will also be available at the library.
Follow Little Chute Public Library on Facebook for videos, programs, and more information, or visit their website for their 2021 Summer Newsletter to learn about upcoming in-person and virtual events.
Little Chute Public Library is open for curbside pickup and in-person browsing. Contact the library for curbside-pickup information.
Little Chute Public Library
625 Grand Ave, Little Chute
Neenah Public Library
SOAR into Summer with Neenah Public Library’s Summer Reading Program including Beanstack reading challenges, outdoor programs, and take & create projects. Follow NPL on Facebook for updates and videos. Book bundles, and Craft and Discovery Kits are also available to checkout!
Oshkosh Public Library
Take the Oshkosh Public Library’s Summer Reading Challenge June 1 – August 21, 2021.
Follow Oshkosh Public Library on Facebook for more information on programming throughout the summer.
Don’t miss a chance to check out the StoryWalk at the Shops at Oshkosh!
Oshkosh Public Library is open for in-person services and curbside pickup.
- Oshkosh Public Library, 106 Washington Ave, Oshkosh
- (920) 236-5205
Brown County Library
Brown County Libraries are open for in-person services and continued curbside pickup.
- Brown County Library – Branches throughout the county
- (920) 448-4400
Many other smaller community libraries are also participating in the Beanstack program! Check your favorite library’s website for information about their summer programs.
Other Summer Reading Programs & Incentives
Barnes & Noble
The Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program is here to help your kids on their way, encouraging reading books of their own choosing to earn a FREE book, simply by following these three easy steps:
- Read any eight books this summer and record them in your Summer Reading Journal (English or Español). Tell us which part of the book is your favorite, and why.
- Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between July 1st and August 31, 2020.
- Choose your FREE reading adventure from the book list featured on the back of the journal.
Book It Program
Remember Book-It? Read books, get a personal pan? It is still around and there is a Summer Reading Program called Camp BOOK IT this year!
- Enroll your kids.
- Fill out monthly calendar trackers. When kids complete their monthly reading goals you’ll receive a coupon by email for a FREE personal pizza from Pizza Hut.
- Enjoy monthly activity books with book suggestions and fun things to do.
Half Price Books
Feed Your Brain – Read 15 minutes a day to keep up an appetite for reading all summer long.
(Grown-ups may read aloud to kids who are still learning.)
Slay dragons. Ride broomsticks. Unlock portals. Cast spells. FEED YOUR BRAIN® & fuel the power of your imagination this summer.
- Download and fill our reading logs.
- Read for 15 minutes each day and record it.
- Enter weekly give-aways.
- Try out virtual storytimes.