We get so many wonderful requests from people looking for opportunities to volunteer with kids or places to volunteer as a family. Our community is generous and the way that we’re passing this giving spirit to our children is uplifting.
Volunteering at the holidays can be a perfect way to bond through working together as a family to help others. It can seem like family volunteer opportunities are few and far between. It can be a challenge to find locations that allow school-aged kids and younger to help. When you find a place that looks like it might be a good fit for your family, give them a call. Prepare to talk to them about what volunteer opportunities you find interesting, as well as the ages and abilities of your family members.
Many times that we envision helping in our community on Thanksgiving, serving a Thanksgiving meal jumps to mind. Visions of soup kitchens likely float through. Volunteering in 2020 will take on many unique forms as there are no community meals taking place this year. There are still tasks and missions that organizations need volunteers for on Thanksgiving as a family team. We’ve found some spots that can use your help!
Some of the places to volunteer for Thanksgiving in our community:
- Christ the Rock, Menasha – Community Thanksgiving Dinner
- Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 25, 2021 – 600 volunteers for various jobs to get an estimated 3,000 meals delivered across the community. This is a great opportunity for family volunteer teams to deliver meals together.
- Find more information: Volunteers Needed – Deliver Kindness
- Outagamie County Volunteer Service – Thanksgiving Program
- Thanksgiving Basket Program
- Volunteers make a Thanksgiving feast complete with side dishes or put together a food basket for a family in Outagamie County. This is a perfect opportunity to share your amazing green bean casserole that rivals Cracker Barrel or family secret pumpkin pie with someone new. You can also work with friends and neighbors to coordinate a food basket drive for several families. Contact Volunteer Services at (920)832-5515
- Thanksgiving Basket Program
Other Spots to Volunteer with Your Family:
Ascension Mercy Hospital
- Make cards, tray favors, or lap quilts for patients. These are all a great fit for artsy young children that might be too little for other service projects.
- Full details about volunteer opportunities.
- Call (920)223-0225 for guidelines
Father Carr, Oshkosh – Meal Delivery and Service
- Volunteer for meal service or delivery.
- Call for more details: (920)231-2378
Pillars, Appleton – Many types of opportunities!
Pillars has many volunteer opportunities available year-round and a wish list that you can check for needs that the organization has!
Call (920)734-9291 to talk about what might work for your family or visit pillarsinc.org/volunteer/
However you decide to celebrate Thanksgiving this year, we hope you have a wonderful day!
Volunteer throughout the Holiday Season
There are so many opportunities in our community to provide service year-round and especially during the holidays. Volunteering can be a great opportunity for family bonding, creating traditions, and stepping away from the shopping and errands that dominate the season.
- The holidays are a particularly busy time for so many organizations and they need extra hands to manage donations.
- Delivering meals to families and individuals can be a family-friendly way to help others.
- Check with food banks for their current needs as they are often gifted with lots of items during the holiday season but might have holes to fill.
Families get so busy during November and December, that sometimes it can be hard to find time to physically volunteer. It can be easier to pick a place to donate items or money. There are plenty of ways to do that also!
- Adopt a family with Harbor House by contacting Katie Phalin at (920)832-1667 or with Outagamie Volunteer Service by contacting Penny Jane Strauss at 920.832.5515
- Their needs change, but they keep a Current Needs List here: harborhousewi.org/current-needs/
- Appleton Police Department is always in need of the following to give to victims or families in need during times of crisis:
- children’s books in good condition
- new blankets
- coloring books and crayons
- Best Friends of Neenah-Menasha needs
- gift cards for local attractions and restaurants
- board games and activities for mentoring programs
- gas cards for families.
- Boys and Girls Clubs of the Fox Valley is always in need of:
- games and sports equipment
- arts and crafts supplies
- prizes for their prize bin
- musical instruments
- grocery gift cards
- various cooking and baking supplies for their Healthy Habits Food Program.
Find More Information:
The Volunteer Center of East Central Wisconsin is a great resource for finding ways to help in the community. You can find the Volunteer Connections booklet for the current year on their website. They also sort volunteer opportunities and have a great list for spots to volunteer that are a good fit for those 17 and younger.
If you are feeling the stir to do some good in our community, find your perfect match at The Volunteer Center of East Central Wisconsin.