It’s no mystery that the summer of 2020 is one like no other! The Fox Cities has an assortment of activities to help the young detectives in your family become a private eye. From geocaching to virtual super sleuth camps, kids can channel their inner Sherlock Holmes in a variety of ways this summer.
But why should you cultivate your child’s inner investigator? Detective skills teach your child to be more mindful and observant of the world around them.
Mindfulness not only creates more awareness of the present moment, but it also helps your child grow these superpowers:
- Develop analytical and creative thinking skills.
- Strengthen self-control.
- Increase attention span.
- Promote positivity.
- Cultivate healthy coping skills.
Activities for Your Outdoor Detectives
- Geocaching! Grab your gang, and search for hidden treasures in the community using a smartphone and GPS coordinates. Did you know that there are over 1,000 geocaches hidden within 10 miles of Appleton alone? Go on a hunt, and find a geocache (or three!) today. You can learn more about the art of geocaching here.
- Gratitude Scavenger Hunt! Use your child’s sleuthing skills to uncover things in their world that they are thankful for. Kids (and adults too!) often fail to notice the beauty of the world right around them. Take your kids on a gratitude walk around the neighborhood and ask them to find people, places, and things they are thankful for. As a bonus, have them start their own gratitude journal when they get home to cultivate an attitude of gratitude! Here are a few prompts to get you started on your own Gratitude Scavenger Hunt:
- Find something that makes you smile.
- Find something that makes a beautiful sound.
- Find something that is your favorite color.
- Find someone in your neighborhood or community you are grateful for.
- Find a place you love.
Activities for Indoor Investigators
- Write a Secret Message! Have your secret agent write an “invisible” code or message on white paper using a waxy white crayon. Reveal the code by painting over the paper with watercolors. For even more fun, mail a secret message to a friend or family member. Don’t forget to include a note telling the receiver how to decode the message!
- Read a Mystery Series! Break out the books and figure out whodunnit together. Popular mystery series for elementary-age kids include Nate the Great, Cam Jansen, The Magic Treehouse, A to Z Mysteries, and The Boxcar Children. A Series of Unfortunate Events is great for the older super sleuths in your home!
- Fingerprinting! Fingerprints can provide important evidence at a scene of a crime. Teach your young detective how to take fingerprints using an ink pad or a lead pencil. For extra excitement, have your child use their imagination and turn their fingerprints into a work of art. Can a thumbprint become a truck? Can a pinky print become a pig?
Virtual Mindfulness Mysteries! Camps and Workshops presented by Fox Valley Mindful Learners
- Mindfulness Mysteries: Peaceful Potions! Designed for boys and girls ages 7-12, your super sleuths will work together to escape from the mad scientist’s laboratory. Throughout the workshop, kids will learn skills such as deep breathing, yoga, and meditation to help them master the mindfulness skills they need to solve the mystery of the Peaceful Potions. Escape room workshops will be offered at 2:00 pm on the following dates: July 23 or August 6th (select one date only). Cost for the single day workshop is $15 per participant, and all materials will be provided electronically prior to the virtual escape room experience.
- STRONG GIRLS: Super Sleuth Edition! Designed for girls ages 8-13, this virtual week long camp will transform your daughter into a super sleuth. Each day, girls will participate in a daily detective challenge as well as learn skills to lovingly nourish their bodies, minds, and spirits from the inside out. Each day, camp will open with a Daily Detective Challenge for the girls to solve together. Additional daily themes such as self-love, gratitude, mindfulness, and yoga will be integrated into the camp throughout the week. Our final day of virtual camp, girls will participate together in the Peaceful Potions virtual escape room. Our virtual camp will be held August 10th – 14th, 2020 from 2:00 – 3:00 pm daily on a password protected virtual platform, with the final day of camp running an additional 15-20 minutes in order to complete the escape room experience together. Cost for the virtual camp is $65 per girl, and all materials will be provided electronically prior to each day’s session.
Learn more and register for Mindfulness Mysteries! Camps and workshops by visiting: https://www.foxvalleymindfullearners.com/summer-camps
Can your child become a super sleuth? Follow the clues and cultivate your child’s inner detective this summer! Let us know in the comments which activities your Sherlock Holmes most enjoyed.