On August 1, 2020 a mask mandate went into effect for all of Wisconsin. It is set to expire on September 28, 2020.
Why are masks or face coverings required?
All major health agencies recommend the use of face coverings to prevent droplets from traveling through the air when talking, coughing, sneezing, etc. COVID-19 is primarily transmitted through droplets. Wearing a face covering a simple way to slow the spread of COVID-19 when we are outside of our homes.
When are masks required?
Masks are required in all indoor locations (other than private homes) and enclosed spaces (think park pavillions) when other people are present.
Are there exceptions?
- When eating or drinking.
- To briefly confirm your identity at a bank, polling place, when buying alcohol, etc.
- When talking with someone that needs to see your mouth for clear communication.
Can I wear a face sheild instead?
No. Face shields have been found to be less effective than face coverings.
Will kids need masks at school?
As school plans are released, schools will be requiring students to wear masks while at school but are planning to provide opportunities for “mask breaks” throughout the day.
What are the consequences of not wearing a mask?
Local and state officials can enforce the order with a $200 fine.
Stores in the Fox Valley selling cloth and/or disposable masks
- Old Navy
- Pick ‘n Save
Where to purchase cloth masks from local makers and retailers in the Fox Valley Area
- 2 Blondes, 461 N Main St, Oshkosh
- Beatnik Bettys, 214 E College Ave, Appleton
- Blue Moon Emporium, 227 E College Ave, Appleton,
- Hey Daisy, 121 E College Ave, Appleton
- Mom & Pop Place, 117 W Wisconsin Ave, Neenah
- Small masks for ages 2-5 and larger for ages 6-12 available.
- Sew Biz, 220 W Wisconsin Ave, Neenah
- Sunrise on Main Boutique, 1244 Main St, Green Bay
- You’re Special Gifts and Collectibles, 801 N Casaloma Dr, Appleton
Local Handmade & Etsy Shops
- Bees and Blossoms Homestead
- For every 20 masks sold will donate one to our local schools to help kids who cannot afford to purchase a nice mask.
- Elon Mask, Appleton
- Every mask purchased one is donated to Appleton Area School District.
- Jen’s Sewing Studio, Neenah
- Pearly Grey, Appleton
- FREE contactless pickup in Appleton
- Threads by Stephanie, Appleton
Where to Donate Masks
Are you making masks and want to donate them? Our community thanks you!
There is a Facebook Group dedicated to making and donating masks to community organizations and healthcare workers: NE Wisconsin COVID-19 Masks and Supplies for Heatlhcare Workers.
There are several ways to contribute:
- Community Clothes Closet
- Harbor House
- King Veterans Home
- Ascension (St E’s) cancer center
- Brewsters Village
Why and How of Masks
Wearing a mask helps to decrease the risk that you pass COVID-19 to others before you have symptoms. A recent study also shows that it can reduce your personal risk by 65%. As with all things, our kids will follow our lead with mask wearing. The more cheerfully we comply, the more likely they are to take it in stride.
The CDC has guidance about how to safely wear and manage your face coverings/masks. Highlights are:
- Children under 2 should NOT use face coverings.
- Reserve surgical masks and N95 respirators for front line workers, choose a cloth face covering whenever possible.
- Your nose and mouth should be covered.
- Avoid touching your face covering.
- Avoid putting your mask on your forehead or neck when not in use.
- Handle your mask by the loops or ties after wearing.
- Wash your face covering by hand or in the washing machine.
Want to be added to this post? Do you have masks available for purchase or donation? To be included in this post, email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know exactly how people can get in touch with you (email, phone, etc.). You will be added to this post within 1-2 business days.