Show your local love for Downtown Appleton starting Friday, February 19, 2021 while strolling and enjoying ice sculptures in front of the unique boutiques, specialty shops, and restaurants.
Enjoy ice sculptures placed up and down the Avenue in various designs to get you in the winter spirit! Ice sculptures will be installed by Friday, February 19 at noon and will remain up as weather permits. Spend the weekend exploring Downtown Appleton businesses and the beauty of ice.
Avenue of Ice, Downtown Appleton
- When: Friday, February 19th (noon) – until the ice melts
- Where: Downtown Appleton, College Avenue
- Admission: FREE
- More Information
While strolling downtown, be sure to warm up and support the amazing small businesses! Take a peek at their great WINTER ITEMS ON THE AVENUE to find ways to stay warm and enjoy the Wisconsin Winter! Items such as hot chocolate, mittens & cozy hoodies, winter brews, and more can all be found in Downtown Appleton.
15 ice sculptures will be located along College Avenue. Download a complete map here.
Tips for Exploring Avenue of Ice with Kids
- Layers! Start with a warm base and add snow pants, warm coats, hats, mittens, scarves, and warm boots. It is so much easier to just take a layer off than figuring out how to get warmer!
- Park in a central location. Choose a parking ramp that is in the middle of the action. Try next to the library behind the Building for Kids or across from Houdini Plaza. If you need to cut your exploring short, you’re never too far away from your escape!
- Bring along hand warmers and water. It’s the little things that make exploring more comfortable and fun.
- Stop for hot cocoa! Perfect for warming up from the inside out and a delicious, little portable hand warmer.
- Don’t forget your mask! There is still significant community spread, wearing a mask even outdoors when around others is recommended by health experts. A bonus is that it really helps keep your cheeks and nose warm!
Go Valley Kids favorite spots for hot chocolate Downtown:
- Acoca Coffee, 500 West College Avenue, Appleton
- (920) 993 – 1458
- Brewed Awakenings, 107 East College Avenue, Appleton
- (920) 882 – 9336
- Copper Rock, 210 West College Avenue, Appleton
- (920) 882 – 9462
Some of our favorite Downtown Appleton things to do with kids in the winter:
- Visit Jones Park – Bring along your skates and glide around the skating or hockey rink.
- Pick up a treat to enjoy at home from Crazy Sweet
- Browse the stickers and kids’ local merch at Blue Moon Emporium
- Check out the featured book on Story Walk
Arrange to pick up an at home activity kit from Building for Kids or reserve an hour to explore a set of exhibits.