You have taken down the Christmas tree, now what? We have rounded up where to find Christmas tree recycling in the Fox Valley!
General Tips for Recycling Christmas Trees
- Natural real trees only (no artificial Christmas trees).
- Christmas trees must not have lights, decorations, tinsel, flocking or chemicals. Tree stands need to be removed.
- Most common varieties are recyclable including – Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Fraser Fir, Scotch Pine and White Pine.
- Trees larger than 7 ft may need to be cut in half.
- Do not place Christmas trees in plastic bags.
- Contact donation site before dropping off trees to confirm they are still needed.
Christmas Tree Recycling Drop Off Locations
- The NEW Zoo, 4378 Reforestation Rd, Green Bay
- Hatch’em Acre, W1296 State Highway 96, Kaukauna, (920) 212-0034
- Christmas trees will be used in goat and chicken pens. Drop off available daily in Kaukauna. Call or message with questions.
- Fishing Clubs along Lake Winnebago – Christmas trees are used for marking roads on Lake Winnebago for ice fishers.
- Appleton Municipal Building Drop-off, 2625 E Glendale Ave, Appleton, Wisconsin, (920) 832-5588
- Winnebago County Landfill and Recycling Drop-off, 100 W County Road Y, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, (920) 232-1800
- Brown County Yard Waste Drop-Off – Ashwaubenon, Collaer Court Green Bay, Wisconsin, (920) 448-2800
Christmas Tree Recycling Curbside Pickup
Most cities and towns pick up Christmas trees curbside on regular recycling days 2-3 weeks after Christmas to be recycled into mulch. If weather is bad collection could be extended into the following week. Make sure your Christmas tree is not buried in the snow and remove all plastic tree bags.
If you see updates for any other cities, please let us know!
Christmas Trees for the Birds
Consider leaving your tree in your backyard to feed the birds this winter! Make sure all ornament hooks, decorations, garland and tinsel are removed. By Summer the branches will become brittle and you can break the tree apart by hand for campfire firewood.