With more than 16,000 students, Appleton Area School District is the sixth-largest district in the state. With such a large district, strong partnerships with parents, the community, and local businesses, and the Board of Education are vital to meet the educational needs of students. When planning for the 2020-2021 school year, AASD relied on input from two surveys of district families to help guide decision making along with Education Forward, Department of Health, and CDC guidance.
The AASD Safe & Resilient Return Plan will be presented to the Board of Education at their work session on July 27, 2020. This special meeting will be streamed live on the Appleton Area School District YouTube Channel starting at 4:00 pm. For remote attendance via telephone, call: 1-312-626-6799 Meeting ID: 945 5355 3929.
We will work to update this as soon as possible following the plan being approved, finalized, and more details being released.
- School Profile: Total Enrollment: 16,302 Students in Pre-K-12
- 4K Students: 937
- Kindergarten: 1,133 Students
- Elementary School Students (Grades 1-6): 6,834
- Middles School Students (Grades 7-8): 2,294
- High School Students (Grades 9-12): 4,982
- Class-Size Ratios (AGR schools will have different ratios)
- K-3: 25 to 1
- 4-6: 27 to 1
- 7-12: 28.5 to 1
- 15 Elementary Schools, 4 Middle Schools, 3 High Schools 14 Charter Schools (grade levels offered vary), 1 Magnet School
- School supply lists, registration dates, and Meet & Greets Open Houses are on hold until the finalized plan is released.
- Early Childhood – 4th Grade: Fully in-person five days per week.
- 5-12 Grade: In-person classes two days per week, virtual classes 3 days per week.
- All grades: Option for fully virtual five days per week.
An enhanced model will be used for virtual learning, different from the emergency response in the spring. It will include:
- Online Learning Management System: All grades will use Canvas. Teachers will be able to facilitate, document, and track learning. Families will be able to use Canva to see classroom information, assignments, due dates, feedback, and more.
- Additional Technology: All students from Early Childhood to 6th grade will be provided a Chromebook.
- Staff Training: Professional development will be provided for teachers to use Canvas to connect, engage, and move students forward in their learning.
- iReady: Will be used for grades K-8.
Online Schooling Options
Families interested in fully at-home virtual learning for the school year can elect to enroll in the AASD Virtual Charter Schools:
Another option is being explored that would use the district’s curriculum and occur alongside the fully in-person and hybrid options.