Navigating the world with a child on the autism spectrum can be both a wonderful and challenging experience for families. Check out these events and organizations that offer special events for children with autism.
The Fox Valley area offers many resources for parents with children on the autism spectrum. Community or family outings can be a challenge for families with children on the autism spectrum. Some of the reasons can include: too crowded, too much room to run, safety risks, over-stimulation, and cost (families may want to bring a home line therapist to help). But with the right services and help, events can be enjoyable for everyone.
Often connecting with the right resources and people can make an extraordinary impact on both your child and your family. The following includes a list of resources, including organizations and websites that provide information for parents:
- Autism Society of the Fox Valley – A local chapter of the Wisconsin Chapter, which also has a Facebook page that updates regularly with legislation, conferences, speakers, and area events: www.autismfoxvalley.org
- Autism Society of Wisconsin – Provides resources, advocacy, support, conference details, and general information: www.asw4autism.org
- Autism Speaks – The world’s leading autism advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families: www.autismspeaks.org
- Fox Valley Autism Treatment Program – Provides excellent information for parents with newly diagnosed children and information regarding their treatment programs: foxvalleyautism.com/links
- Friends of Autism – Dedicated to increasing awareness and education. Often offer lower-priced or free trainings and conferences for families and professionals in the area, also offering a Facebook page: www.friendsofautism.org
- Research Autism – Includes a free download to help navigate the special education system and IEPs: www.researchautism.org/
- Wisconsin Department of Health and Human Service – Provides information for families to determine if they qualify for state funded autism services, including information on Medicaid coverage for Wisconsin kids with autism: www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/forwardhealth
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction – Includes eligibility criteria and a checklist: dpi.wi.gov/sped/autism
- Wisconsin SIBS – Offers resources, support, and events for people having siblings with special needs: https://wisconsibs.org/who-we-are/we-are-wisconsibs/
In addition to the many special events occurring throughout the year, the following events and organizations are dedicated especially to children on the autism spectrum.
Classes & Sports Opportunities
- Fox Cities YMCA – Offers a variety of programming for kids with special needs including yoga, sports, and swimming: www.ymcafoxcities.org
- Fox Valley Miracle League – Organized baseball league for children ages 4-19 with cognitive and/or physical disabilities: http://www.foxvalleymiracleleague.com/
- Swimtastic – Offers 1 on 1 swim lessons: www.swimtastic.com
- Cerebral Palsy, Inc (Green Bay) – Offers swimming lessons for special needs: www.cp-center.org
Home Therapist Free Admission
The following locations waive admission for home therapists if you contact ahead of time: